Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tomato Tortellini Soup on a Snowy Day in Bama

There are still several inches of snow on the ground here in Dixie today.  We received about 5 inches on Sunday night and the weather still hovers right around freezing.  Nat is stranded ...well not stranded...but has been at his Dad's house since Saturday.  They have had a football filled time and I am having fun at home being in charge of the tv controller! HA!  Hopefully he gets home tomorrow.

Today, since I'm bored and love to cook,  I made some Tomato Tortellini Soup.  The original recipe was given to me by my daughter-in-law.  I changed it around a little because for one thing I didn't have all of the ingredients in her recipe and also because I was trying to reduce the calories and fat some.  I thought it was really good and will also try her version to see how much better it is with the half and half.  I posted a picture of it on my FB page and several wanted the recipe, so I will just post it here.  I will also tell you the ingredients in the original recipe.

Jane's Tomato Tortellini Soup

1 can Campbell's condensed soup
1 1/2 - 2 soup cans milk ( I used 2 %)
1 can Progresso Tomato Parmesean  Low Sodium Soup(they also have a great tomato basil soup)
1/2  teas. dried basil or Italian seasoning (I also used some parmesan garlic seasoning that I have)
1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes packed in oil (I used these, but really think they aren't necessary)
1 package of Buitoni 3 cheese tortellini, prepared as directed (found in refrig. section of store)
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini as directed, drain and set aside.
In dutch oven, combine condensed soup, milk, and Progresso soup.  Add seasoning and sundried tomatoes.  Heat through, stirring occassionly.  Add cooked tortellini and shredded cheese.  Heat several more minutes stirring until cheese melted.  Serve with toasty bread, yeast rolls, or grilled cheese.
(I topped mine with 6 cheese Italian Cheese for a little extra creaminess!  Enjoy!

In Mary Avery's recipe she used:
2 cans condensed low sodium tomato soup, no Progresso soup
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups half and half
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tea. each of onion powder, garlic powder, and dried basil
The rest of her recipe is the same as mine.  Hers would make more soup, but mine has a higher ratio of pasta to soup.  So if you would like it to be more "soup-like" and a little richer, hers would be a better choice.  Either way, oh so yummy!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home